(PatriotHeadline.com)- Two former officials with Customs and Border Protection are saying that the Biden administration has basically issued a gag order on what can and can’t be shared with the media regarding the escalating border crisis.
An NBC News report, citing the two former officials, said agents and sector chiefs of Border Patrol are being restricted in what they can tell the media about the situation at the country’s southern border, where migrants are coming in droves.
It’s an unofficial “gag order,” according to the former agents. These officials weren’t authorized to speak on the matter, so they requested anonymity from the press.
The officials said that officials with the Border Patrol have been told to deny any media request for a ride-along with agents at the southern land border. They’ve been told that the press office in Washington, D.C., must approve all information queries, even if they come from local media sources.
Those who are in charge of gathering data regarding the number of migrants that are currently being held in custody have been told they can’t share that information with anyone at all, in an effort to prevent that information from being made public.
All media outlets who have requested either access to the border processing facilities or photos of the inside have been denied thus far. These facilities are becoming increasingly overcrowded, and they’re holding thousands of migrant children.
One photo was released late on Tuesday by the DHS press office, and that showed only a mother and her child undergoing health screenings. There weren’t any wider shots of the facility to show the overall conditions those in custody were facing.
During the administration of former President Donald Trump, the media was invited to tour the facilities where the children who had been separated from their parents were held.
These former officials who are the source in this story said the gag orders weren’t given out in official memos. Instead, they the restrictions were communicated verbally.
Since there is no official policy in place, some border agents have released videos showing huge surges of migrants as well as mass arrests. They didn’t have permission from the Biden administration to do that, though, the officials said.
An official with DHS said a recently-opened processing facility located in the Texas city of Donna is already over capacity with migrant children who are unaccompanied. The Department of Homeland Security, and Customs and Border Protection have both not given any tours of the facility to members of the media.
Of course, some of this lack of in-person tours is due to the coronavirus pandemic. Still, there’s “not be a single [border ride-along] since January 20, when Biden entered office.
A spokesperson for the DHS said they are just following the standards that were set back in 2014. In trying to defend what’s going on, the spokesperson said:
“Across the federal government, certain employees are designated spokespeople for their respective agencies, and public statements are vetted to ensure accuracy. This standard and process has been followed at DHS since the Department’s inception and cross bipartisan administrations.
“Customs and Border Protection continues to publicly provide the same monthly data on the same schedule as it has since 2014.”